We are looking for a Project Manager (m/f/d) based in Erbil, with extensive travel within northern Iraq, starting from October 2022.
Who we are
forumZFD supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence. forumZFD is currently working with peace consultants in Germany as well as in eleven other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Its Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. Through dialogue events, educational work and campaigns, forumZFD actively advocates civil peace policy. forumZFD is recognized by the German federal government as a member of the Civil Peace Service (CPS) consortium. It finances its work through public and private grants, donations and membership fees.
The forumZFD programme in Iraq aims to promote peaceful coexistence through non-violent conflict transformation to reduce mistrust among the diverse population groups in northern Iraq. It aims to prevent escalation of violence and radicalization of youth affected by conflict. The approaches of the forumZFD include promotion of dialogue and mediation skills, strengthening the role of civil society and local communities as well as promoting the participation of women and youth in decision-making processes to rebuild their communities and strengthen their resilience.
We offer an attractive position with responsibilities for a minimum of two to three years (with the option of extension) in a growing organization. We also offer participation in qualification and professional development courses (among others, at forumZFD’s Academy for Conflict Transformation), a project-based preparation, regular coaching and, where appropriate, participation in a language course. As the position is based on the German Development Aid Workers Act (EhfG), it is remunerated according to the provisions of this law, including comprehensive social security benefits and financial reintegration assistance upon return. Working for forumZFD, you will be engaged within the innovative field of conflict transformation and peacebuilding through contributing your ideas and skills.
Your Tasks and responsibilities
The Project Manager will support – alongside and in tandem with a national project manager – forumZFD partners, local communities, authorities and key actors to contribute to a non-violent conflict transformation at intra and inter communal level to reduce mistrust within and among the diverse population groups in northern Iraq affected by conflict. By initiating and strengthening dialogue processes as well as capacity development measures in non-violent conflict transformation/peacebuilding the component supports local participatory decision-making processes of the communities and their representatives to promote peaceful coexistence among the diverse population groups in a non-violent manner.
In close cooperation with his/her national counterpart, the Project Manager will be responsible for planning, implementing, impact monitoring and financial controlling of project activities focusing on enabling local communities and relevant institutions in northern Iraq to acquire skills in peaceful conflict transformation. The Project Manager works under the direct supervision of the Country Director (his/her line manager).
Specific tasks include:
- Development and implementation of all-party reflection dialogue processes with a wide range of stakeholders, especially addressing intra and inter communal disputes;
- Conceptualize and implement forumZFD’s project activities in the field of capacity development of local communities and relevant institutions geared towards sustainable conflict transformation at community level;
- Identify the needs of local communities, their representatives, relevant institutions and NGOs on a local level – including training needs – and assist in organising trainings and consultations related to negotiation, dialogue, mediation, consensus building, conflict sensitive methods, in particular Do No Harm, conflict analysis, communication/advocacy, and peacebuilding strategies;
- Maintain regular communication with communities, local and regional state institutions, local NGOs, as well as national and international experts to ensure their active participation and support of the project's objectives and activities and to strengthen local and regional capacities for dialogue by fostering the exchange of experience and expertise;
- Advise forumZFD partner organisations on conception and implementation of a local pilot process using restorative dialogue approaches;
- Promote safe spaces for encounter and reflection as well as interdisciplinary networking processes between the forumZFD partners, their target groups as well as local representatives and institutions;
- University degree in social/political sciences, law, peace and conflict studies or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum of 5-years professional experience in conflict transformation and peacebuilding in a conflict or post conflict setting. Experience as Civil Peace Service Expert and regional knowledge of the Iraqi context is an asset;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the application of civil conflict transformation methods, including all-party dialogue approaches, mediation and nonviolent communication;
- Experience working on intra and inter communal tensions with diverse ethnic communities affected by violence and conflict;
- Knowledge and experience of conflict sensitive methods, in particular on Do No Harm, project management, coupled with some knowledge of PM&E methods and processes;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with approaches to addressing “inclusion” issues, including issues affecting women and girls, ethnic minorities, and other vulnerable groups;
- Experience in designing concepts for facilitating trainings, workshops and other events involving diverse partners and stakeholders affected by violence/conflict;
- Experience working in insecure environments and handling of security needs;
- Excellent written and spoken command of English, including the ability to write high-quality written outputs, Arabic and/or Kurdish is an asset;
- Strong intercultural sensitivity and ability to work in a team with diverse backgrounds; strong ability to think strategically and conceptually;
- Resilience and high frustration tolerance is needed;
- Willingness to undertake frequent trips to the destroyed and disputed areas in Ninewa Governorate, including trips lasting several days;
- Sound IT skills (Office applications and presentation skills);
- Driving license and experience;
Start of assignment
Ideally, you are available to start working on 1st of October 2022 (preparation courses, followed by at least two years contract with the option of extension).
Please note that this vacancy is not suitable for family postings.
Please apply online at https://www.forumzfd.de/en/jobs (letter of motivation and CV), latest by 10th of August 2022.
An assessment center as part of the selection process is planned to be scheduled between 23rd – 26th of August 2022. In case of any questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Anneli Droste at droste@forumZFD.de.
Please find further information about our organisation and our assignments online at www.forumZFD.de. This job advertisement as well as further employment postings can be viewed at www.forumZFD.de/jobs.
We are looking forward to your application!
|End of Job Application|