1. Background information
forumZFD supports people involved in violent conflicts on the path to peace and strives to help overcome war and violence. We are currently working with peace consultants in Germany, as well as twelve other countries in Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. Our Academy for Conflict Transformation offers a learning space for professional, international peace work. With campaigns, lobbying and PR, we actively advocate civil peace policy. forumZFD thereby follows a systemic approach to conflict transformation that views conflict and its progression as a complex system and deals with its structural causes, as well as the actions, the behavior and the attitudes of the involved parties.
At the Academy, we train experts in the field of civil conflict transformation. Our educational work is an expression of our conviction that non-violent, constructive ways of dealing with conflicts can be both taught and learned. Our goal is to provide specialists who already work or intent to work on international peace projects and conflict-sensitive development cooperation with practical tools that allow them to contribute to building lasting peace. In our courses and trainings, we create learning spaces where theory meets practice. Within this, our educational concept focuses on personal development, self-determination, responsibility and the ability to act in conflicts. One of our central concerns is fostering a personal attitude oriented towards peace-related values among all those who participate in our courses and trainings. The international intercultural exchange and participatory learning are particular strengths of our courses and trainings.
The Academy’s portfolio consists of longer, comprehensive courses in peace and conflict work as well as shorter trainings focused on specific topics – both as in-person and online. Furthermore, we offer specific exchange platforms for alumni and orientation trainings for people interested in the Civil Peace Service (CPS). The Academy also offers tailor-made trainings in the field of peace and conflict transformation.
Full-time Course in Peace and Conflict work
- 10-week in-person-course taking place twice per year
- Offered in English for international participants (some of them supported with scholarships)
- Due to the pandemic, in 2020, 2021 and spring 2022, this course was offered as a 15-week part-time online course
Part-time Course in Peace and Conflict work
- 10-month blended-learning course offered once a year
- Training course comprises self-study phases and in-person phases
- Course Language is German
- Trainings cover specific issues, such as “Confronting racism and colonial continuities in peace and conflict work”, “Digital Peacebuilding”, “Gender in Peace and Conflict” or “Dealing with the Past”
- Currently approx. 12 trainings offered per year – some in-person others online with a duration of 1 to 7 weeks
- Offered in English for international practitioners
Alumni and generally interested persons
- Exchanges for alumni offered several times a year
- Master Classes for alumni
- Orientation trainings for generally interested persons
A pool of international trainers with expertise in the fields of peace work, development cooperation, or human rights work is the backbone of the implementation of our courses and trainings. With trainer meetings and conferences, we strengthen the cooperation between academy and trainers in terms of professional and didactic aspects.
Currently, the academy team consists of 11 people with various functions, such as pedagogical consultants, coordinators, or assistants and is part of the structure of forumZFD.
The vast majority of our courses are financially supported by the BMZ through a strategic agreement, under the funding title ‚Civil Peace Service’. This was established in 1999, when the German government introduced the instrument of a Civil Peace Service (ZFD) under the responsibility of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The annual funding amount of the BMZ is currently 750,000.00 euros. Further cooperation exists with the State Chancellery of North Rhine-Westphalia and the GIZ.
Further information on the Academy of Conflict Transformation can be found on our website: www.forumzfd-akademie.de
2. Purpose of the consultancy and specific questions
The purpose of the consultancy is to develop a comprehensive overview of the organically grown development of the Academy and its qualification portfolio over the past 5 years (2018-2022). This includes a systematic analysis and assessment of the different courses and trainings offered by the Academy and the impact logic, that so far often remains implicit. By unfolding these structures and logics the Academy aims for a solid base for the strategic orientation for the next years.
This should lead to a continuous learning and improvement of the design of the BMZ qualification project in terms of relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact, and sustainability.
The following specific aspects and questions are of high importance for the qualitative further development of the Academy's portfolio:
- How can we make the portfolio more relevant for rising demands of the CPS and peace and conflict work in general?
- What has changed in the target group over the last years and how can our portfolio be oriented to the most relevant people? How can these target groups be reached best in the future?
- How can the intended outcome of the trainings be measured? How can PME processes and systems in our field of capacity building be improved?
- How can the quality of the courses be ensured?
- How should content and formats of the courses and training be adjusted to be more future-oriented and sustainable?
- How efficient is our qualification work and how can we improve the efficiency of our courses and trainings?
We expect a clear proposal from the consultant on the methodological approach, which should be transparent and participatory.
On the one hand, the consultant can draw on a variety of evaluations of the individual courses and trainings, alumni surveys, a needs assessment from 2019, various documents on the approach and content of the portfolio, and the amassed project documentation (applications, interim reports, and final reports).
In addition, data should be collected through surveys / interviews / workshops (as appropriate) with staff of the Academy and forumZFD, alumni, trainers, field practitioners, CPS implementing agencies, and donors. Feedback loops and close cooperation with the Academy’s team to fine-tune the consultancy process are expected.
- Systematic overview of the development of the Academy’s portfolio, target groups etc. over the last 5 years, laying out clearly our implicit theory of change of the qualification portfolio of the Academy of Conflict Transformation
- Assessment of the most important aspects of the Academy’s training portfolio financed mainly through the BMZ project based on the evaluation criteria of: relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact, and sustainability
- Recommendations for the further development of the Academy and its portfolio to be presented to the Academy’s team focusing on answers to the specific questions under point 2 and considering the following aspects:
- Proposal for further development of our ToC and outcomes
- Strategies for orienting our portfolio to the target group’s needs and emerging topics
- Recommendations for an appropriate and applicable PME systems and processes for the Academy
The deliverables should be presented in written form as well as in a personal meeting (online if necessary).
5. Time frame and payment
Part one of the consultancy is expected to be implemented in the fourth quarter of 2022. Limited financial resources of up to 8.000,00 EUR are allocated for this part. A second phase focusing on participatory data collection shall be planned for 2023. A realistic budget for this second phase shall be included in the proposal to be submitted.
6. Profile of the consultant
- Several years of experience of evaluations and consultancy in the field of adult learning and capacity building
- Proven knowledge of the field of peacebuilding and conflict transformation in theory and practice
- Several years of work experience in an intercultural setting – preferably in the NGO sector
- Fluent in English and German
- Excellent skills in presenting findings and recommendations in a structured way
7. Submission of proposals
Proposals have to be sent by 29.08.2022 and should include:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation
- A clearly structured, detailed methodological proposal for both phases, taking into account that phase two can be adjusted content-wise during phase one
- A detailed budget for both phases, taking into account that total amounts for phase one and phase two cannot be adjusted significantly in the further process
- A timeline for both phases
For further information, you may contact Mrs. Julia Burmann (burmann@forumZFD.de). We look forward to receiving your expression of interest by 29.08.2022.
Please send your application with subject line “Further Development of the Academy” to the following e-mail: tender.academy@forumZFD.de
|End of Job Application|