Position / Title: Project Officer
Duty Station: Butuan City (forumZFD – Caraga Area Office) with several travels
Estimated Starting Date: August 2019
Term of Employment: Probational period until December 31, 2019, and then one year of contract until December 2020
ONLY FOR FILIPINO NATIONALS
forumZFD (Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst / Forum Civil Peace Service) is a German non-profit and non-governmental organization established in 1996. It is sustained by 38 member-organizations and more than 150 individual members in Germany aiming at raising awareness for the approaches of non-violent conflict transformation and at creating and strengthening instruments and methods for nonviolent conflict transformation.
forumZFD implements Civil Peace Service programs in Germany, the Middle East, the Balkans, Cambodia and the Philippines. Present in Mindanao since 2008, forumZFD maintains a program office in Davao City, area offices in Davao City, Butuan City and Cotabato City. All programs and projects seek to address causes of conflicts around protracted economic, social and cultural marginalization through skills trainings, work with networks and media, studies, organizing platforms for dialogues and other events.
One of the key efforts of forumZFD's team in Caraga (composed at present of four between local and international staff) is to strengthen civil society actors, community leaders and local authorities in their capacities to apply sustainable and participatory strategies for the non-violent transformation of conflicts (for example those related to natural resources at the local level). There is an intention to create more platforms for the Civil Society to discuss and elaborate non-violent conflict transformation strategies to address conflicts in the Region, in coordination with national processes that have an impact at the local level (e.g. Peace Processes and others).
You have the possibility to join an international and dynamic team, with the space to contribute with your creativity and ideas, in an organization which is highly committed to peace, trying to offer an healthy, flexible and constructive working environment.
The candidate will be under the overall supervision of the forumZFD Project Manager in Butuan. As part of the team implementing forumZFD's overall Conflict Transformation Program, she / he will work in direct cooperation and collaboration with, and provide support to other team members.
Ideally the candidate is able to conceptualize and implement conflict transformation (CT) projects independently, and able to do it within the forumZFD organizational mandate and the CT framework, under the supervision and in agreement with the Project Manager.
- Conceptualize, plan, monitor and evaluate projects and activities related to conflict transformation, including the documentation of the conducted activities;
- Analyze conflicts, from the overall national context, to the regional and local context;
- Implement and facilitate activities, such as meetings, workshops, trainings, etc., and provide technical support to our partners (in conflict transformation and, if there is a specific expertise, in related fields)
- Field/community work, in the areas where our partners are based (currently mostly in Agusan del Sur), in order to strengthen partnership and keeping updated on local situation, conflicts, and needs;
- Perform other project-related tasks as may be assigned by the Project Manager;
- Network, coordinate with partners from civil society organizations in initiating and implementing collaborative peacebuilding activities;
- Collaborate with other forumZFD area teams in the implementation of the overall Conflict Transformation Program.
- Three years of recent full-time experience in conflict transformation project work (or related field), and knowledge of conflict transformation methodology; an initial knowledge on peacebuilding, mediation, dialogue, or nonviolence is required;
- Deep understanding of conflict dynamics, and of conflicts in the Philippines in particular, especially on CPP-NPA-NDF conflicts, natural resource conflicts and other specific Caraga conflicts (e.g. IP conflicts, inter and intra tribal, others);
- BA and/or MA Studies in political and social sciences, anthropology, international studies, social work, community development, peace/conflict transformation or similar;
- Demonstrated experience in project planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation (following a conflict-sensitive approach);
- Relational, social, and effective communication skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel related to work assignments mostly but not exclusively in Mindanao;
- Excellent English and Visayan communication skills and intercultural sensitivity (ability to collaborate with people with different ethnic and religious background, beliefs, and cultures).
- Willingness to work in an international environment, in a multicultural working team, flexibility and openness to familiarize with new perspectives and approaches, and with cultural diversity;
- Strong personal commitment to nonviolent conflict transformation in Mindanao and to the work with the organization;
- Proficiency in computer-based word processing;
Distinct advantages would be:
- Competency and practical experience in negotiation and mediation;
- Experience in working with Indigenous Peoples communities;
- Deep knowledge and understanding of the conflict between the GRP and the CPP-NPA-NDF;
- Knowledge of IPRA, IP-related legal processes, legislation on agrarian reform, tenurial instruments, environment and natural resources;
- Knowledge of Manobo language or other CARAGA IP language is an asset;
- Valid license and driving experience is an asset;
Please send your application letter, curriculum vitae including references and photo (any size) via email to: Ms Paola Ottomano, email@example.com
The deadline for applications is the 7th of July 2019. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified via email and / or phone and will be scheduled for an interview.
Format for CV:
Picture, anagraphics (name, surname, date of birth, place of birth and current place of residence), educational background, work experience. We recommend to keep it simple and clear, evidencing your experience, especially according to the requirements. It will be processed by international staff that might be not familiar with all local institutions, include appropriate clarification needed for a foreign reader.