Call for Applications
Conducting a Context Analysis for Cambodia with special attention to the impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic
1. Background information
The Civil Peace Service is a program aimed at preventing violence and promoting peace in crisis zones and conflict regions. It aims to build a world in which conflicts are resolved without resorting to violence. It is funded by the German government.
The CPS has agreed to structure the work of the Civil Peace Service in each partner country in accordance with joint country strategies (Trägerübergreifende Länderstrategien – TLS). As part of each TLS, the participating agencies agree on the essential criteria for the analysis of conflict scenarios (including their relevance), on the resulting peace needs, as well as on joint, overarching targets and strategic approaches for addressing them. As a result, each TLS forms a strategic umbrella under which the participating agencies continue to plan and implement their own CPS projects in an independent manner. It is the responsibility of the executing agencies on the ground to prepare the respective strategy papers, which must be coordinated with the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
In 2019, Forum Civil Peace Service (forumZFD) and Deutsche Gesellschaft für international Zusammenarbeit/Civil Peace Service (GIZ/CPS) GIZ (CPS organizations present in Cambodia at this time) developed a TLS for Cambodia, covering the period from 2019 to 2024.
Against the background of the changing conflict situation in Cambodia, the entry of Bread for the World (BftW) with a CPS program and the need for GIZ/CPS to formulate an exit strategy for one of its CPS programs until the year 2026 - to be submitted to BMZ in 2022 - the existing TLS requires a monitoring and, if needed, revision process.
The basis for developing, monitoring or revising a TLS is the analysis of the context of the respective country. Thus, the Context Analysis serves as the entry point into the discussion whether an updated conflict analysis is needed and/or for monitoring or revising the TLS.
2. Purpose of the assignment
The purpose of this assignment is to elaborate a context analysis on the situation in Cambodia with special emphasis on the developments experienced under the Covid-19 pandemic.
3. About the Context Analysis
In order to gather sufficient data and understanding on violent conflicts in Cambodia for the conflict analysis process, the three organizations are searching for a consultant who will conduct a Context Analysis on violent conflict issues with special focus on developments during the covid-19 pandemic.
3.1. Objectives of Context Analysis
The Context Analysis shall
- Give a comprehensive overview of current conflict dynamics, driving factors, forces for peace, and stakeholders in Cambodia;
- Include the perspectives of various stakeholders of conflicts;
- Reveal the interconnectedness of different conflict issues;
- Pay special attention to different gender roles in the different conflict dynamics. How are women/men affected by violent conflict, what role do women/men play in the different conflicts;
- Pay special attention to the role of youth as stakeholders and affected party of violent conflicts.
The consultant is expected to use a diverse set of data collection methods and capture the input of different sectors and stakeholders. The following methodologies can be considered among others:
- Secondary research using existing studies, databases, conflict and context analyses;
- Interviews or focus group discussions with partners from all three CPS organizations, government institutions, civil society and peace organizations and other relevant stakeholders to the conflict in the focus areas;
Interviews/focus groups discussion (and maybe also the surveys) shall be conducted in Cambodia. We could imagine that around 2-3 focus group discussions could be conducted, plus various interviews.
4. Expectations / Deliverables
The following is expected from the consultant:
- Prepare a concept note for the context analysis with fine-tuned objectives, proposed methodology and a timeline;
- execute the final outline of the context analysis as agreed upon with the three organizations;
- arrange interviews and focus group discussions with relevant stakeholders;
- regularly consult and update forumZFD, GIZ and BftW about the process of the context analysis;
- produce a context analysis, covering the agreed upon objectives, within the set deadline of April 18, 2022. The paper shall not exceed 15 pages (including front page, list abbreviations etc.);
- presentation of findings in the scope of a workshop to review the current TLS, held most likely in August 2022. Whether the involvement of the contractor is needed will be decided upon the completion of the Context Analysis in April.
BftW, GIZ and forumZFD will provide the following:
- provide input for the initial study outline;
- give access to relevant documents;
- supply the contact details of partners to be contacted for the Context Analysis;
- provide input and feedback during the execution phase of the Context Analysis.
5. Timeline (tentative)
- Till January 21, 2022: Selection of researcher
- Till February 4, 2022: Finalizing the methodology and research plan
- March-April 2022: Research and write-up
- April 18 2022: Submission of final report
- (Estimated for) August 2022: Presentation of findings in a workshop held to review the current TLS (details to be defined, see above)
6. Contract specifications
forumZFD will be the client. The client shall appoint the contractor for the period from 1 February – April 30, 2022.
The contractor shall receive a fee for the performance of all obligations under this contract. Flight costs, other transport costs, accommodation and meals/ daily allowance will also be covered (in accordance with forumZFD guidelines/German Federal Travel Expenses Act).
The number of chargeable days for the task is 12 (plus 2 travel days).
Applicants are requested to submit a budget, including their consultant’s fee.
Interested candidates are requested to send in the following documents by Wednesday, January 12, 2022 to Sven Reuter, Head of Program South East Asia at forumZFD (reuter@forumZFD.de):
- Motivation letter;
- Resume, including the mentioning of at least three relevant previous assignments, including (or extra sheet) information on at least two (2) previous assignments, including contact details of the clients;
- 2-3 page document describing your approach to this assignment, suggested methodology and workshop outline;
- Indicating your requested remuneration (fee per day).
8. Qualification of the contractor
- Education: University degree (Master or equivalent) in political science, social sciences or a related subject;
- Work experience: 5 years of professional experience in peace work and civil conflict transformation;
- Regional experience/, profound local knowledge of the Cambodian context;
- Technical expertise in the field of peace building including distinct expertise in analyzing contexts and conflicts;
- Expertise in conducting applied social research including the writing of profound (social) analytical papers/reports;
- Language skills: professional fluency in English, Khmer and/or German desirable.
9. Contact details
The contact person for questions regarding the assignment is Sven Reuter, Head of Program South East Asia at forumZFD (reuter@forumZFD.de).
10. More information
For more information please refer to